Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New Orleans, Part Two - The Line

I thought I would share some of the pictures I took while I was in New Orleans earlier this month. Sorry for the poor quality, but I forgot my digital camera and had to buy some disposable cameras and have the pictures burned to a CD.

Throughout the city there is dark line that marks a lot of the buildings and structures. That line, of course, is where the water stood for several days if not weeks. The picture below is looking north on Tulane Avenue outside of my uncle's restaurant (about a mile from downtown). You can see the line wrapping around the white building. You can't make it out in this picture but that line goes all the way down the street.

This next one is at the same place but turned around (facing south). My uncle's restaurant is the white building in the middle. You can definitely see the line starting on the right side of the picture go right down the street.

It is pretty incredible considering that this spot is about 4.5 miles from Lake Pontchartrain. The river is closer but, of course, the river wasn't a problem.

The next two are of a strip mall about half a mile from the lake. My wife and I used to live near here and this is where we would "make groceries" (grocery shopping to the non-New Orleanian). Here you can see the line going around the entire mall.

And finally, here are a couple of houses that are near the infamous 17th Street Canal levee breach.


More to come.
Part One

No comments: